02 June 2014

Fujifilm's X-E2, Better Results Than I Thought


Masaya, Nicaragua ©2014 Terrell Neasley
I didn't have much expectations about my Fuji XE-2 in the beginning. I knew it took great pictures, but I was used to working with a huge and heavy 36MP Nikon camera. So no way the results would be similar. So my expectations were low comparatively. I'm telling you now, however that I was amazed with the results.

And now YOU can see too.

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua ©2014 Terrell Neasley


Anonymous Art Model, Nicaragua ©2014 Terrell Neasley


Leon, Nicaragua ©2014 Terrell Neasley
I've just now finished all the edits I think I'll do from that trip. I even did a professional shoot on my way back from Nicaragua. I stopped off in LA to help a friend who asked me about shooting for a business working at the Black College Expo. Some of that was doing convention capture, but then later that day it was fashion work for a clothing line. I got to work with about six models who were excellent. Since I don't like doing a pro gig with one camera, I also rented a Fujifilm X100s to give me some wide-angle aspects since all I had was the 35mm which looks like a 50mm due to Fuji's APS-C sensor (Crop factor of 1.5). The X100s has a fixed 23mm f/2 lens, which looks like a 35mm due to its APS-C sensor as well. I had it shipped ahead to the hotel where I was staying. 

2014 Black College Expo, Los Angeles,
Even Actor/Comedian Michael Colyar dropped by


I got everything I needed and was able to deliver the goods. The file sizes were still around 33MB in RAW form, so I had plenty of information for editing. I still wish I had my 36MP D800E for fashion work, but this crop-sensor Fuji delivered for the purposes intended. And now that I've completed edits from all my shots in Nicaragua, I've still amassed about 80 edited images out of the 965 I came back with, which is closer than I expected to my normal rate as a 10%'er. Even back in my film days, I was still relatively and consistently editing 10% of all my shots.

Models Left to Right,
 Nathan Rachinski, Kevante Wickliffe, Dina Shestacova, Matthew Rice Franklin, Elise Puritz, and Cadwell Samuels
Given all that, I will try my next excursion with the Fujifilm X-T1, which has added weather-sealing. I'm really loving this X-Trans II CMOS sensor. Coupled with the addition of the 23mm f/1.4 and the 56mm f/1.2 to go with my 35, I'll have everything I need. Well, I think I might just indulge myself a bit further. I'm also waiting on the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS Lens for the Fuji mount to be released. Rok makes some budget lenses but they've been really pulling out the stops on several new additions. So, if I'm gonna try it, its gonna be on one with expected distortion. I just wish I could hurry up and finalize all my travel plans and itinerary!

No comments:

Post a Comment