26 July 2014

Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cine Manual Focus Lens Initial Review

I've been getting used to my first manual focus lens this past week and its been a fun process. I picked up the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cine Lens and took off into Utah to scout some new locations and play with it a before I head out on my next excursion soon. This was a trip to familiarize myself with the lens prior to putting it to real tasking. Its definitely easier to do this with a wide-angle lens as opposed to something longer than a 50mm lens. There are definitely ways to check your focus with manual focus lenses so that you are tack sharp. I'm still getting used to the lens, but I think I've got it figured out well enough. I had to tweek a little chromatic aberration as well as guard against unwanted vignetting, but not really any more than you see in most wide-angles.

This is not a fish-eye, so there is minimal distortion and practically no barreling when shooting straight on. That's pretty good for a 14. This is a lens that's designed primarily for video work and therefore has knobby aperture and focus rings to better grip the follow focus knobs that may be used when the camera is mounted on a shoulder rig. Since is a cinema lens, it also utilizes T-stops as opposed to the F-stop you might be familiar with, but this is very close to the same thing. F-stops are derived from a calculated equations which is determined based on a given focal length, but T-stops are actually measurements of light used by cinematographers and are actually a bit more accurate than the f-stop, but just by a bit. Overall, this is an inexpensive, VERY well-made, and I might add...ATTRACTIVE lens from the makers of Rokinon.

Here are some of the initial shots I've been playing with. And at the end is an embedded YouTube vid by Matt Granger, who gives an EXCELLENT description on the difference between F&T Stops. He drops some interesting knowledge about the true light transmissions on some of the most expensive lenses by Canon and Nikon compared to, say a Tamron. Check out his YouTube Channel for more video knowledge!

©2014 Terrell Neasley

©2014 Terrell Neasley

©2014 Terrell Neasley

©2014 Terrell Neasley

No comments:

Post a Comment