22 May 2014

The Right Time

Art Model, Viki Vegas, ©2011 Terrell Neasley
"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time."
~ Arnold H. Glasow

I think I've went into enough details on my last blog post about why I don't make money on my nudes. But I'll open up just a little bit more regarding things I've thought about over the last two years and what may change in the near future. Its sort of been a waiting game where I'm looking for the right deal for my work. There are simply ways I wish to conduct my affairs when dealing with my art work. Its personal. And in that regard, with as much as I know about business, I prefer to take myself out of that equation and let more objective people do it for me. At least for now, that is. I recognize my weakness. I've worked various jobs in finance, management, and marketing. I have an MBA. I also have a MS in Telecommunications Systems Management which was heavy on the SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT part and that included business applications. So I'm not saying my weakness is in handling the business end of all this.

Art Model, Covenant ©2014 Terrell Neasley
I'm just being honest with myself in recognizing that my artwork compromises my ability to remain impartial to the decisions and judgements that may be necessary for this particular moment in time, specifically these initial steps. I know the constraints and conditions as an artist that I'd place on how my work is produced, presented, and promoted. I had turned down two artist's agents in the last 3 years, but now I think I could benefit from the consultation of a professional. So there you have it. In the meantime, I don't want to do any more contests, despite some that are tempting. Exhibition is my main focus for the immediate time going forward. I have so much work that I've accumulated over the years that nobody has ever even seen. Panda remains my most prolific model. I shot her 21 times over the last 3 years. I'll bet less than 20 of her images have even been used or otherwise displayed. So we'll see.

In other news....

I think I'm about settled on Peru for the summer. I still have lots to figure out as to the specifics of the trip, fly dates, and what I want to do in South America. I'll give Central America a break for now and make Panama and El Salvador my priorities next. So at the moment, I'm researching Peru for options and have found a few good things and even met a beautiful Peruvian woman at Valley of Fire last weekend who was hiking with her accomplished photographer husband. It was really inspiring.

Anonymous ©2013 Terrell Neasley
I'm going back there with a new Fujifilm camera, the X-T1 along a few of the latest prime lenses. I'm going Fuji-PRIME! I'll have all f/1.4 or faster glass in the 3 main primary perspective formats (for full-frame), the 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. I'd still much rather take a model with me, but I'm going to be fortunate to just squeak by taking my own self there on this trip. And as usual, I have no clue how long I'll be gone or where I'll come back from just yet, so all that's still open. Man, I need help on so many levels. Pitiful. I don't have too many travel buddies to talk to here in Vegas. I say "too many" as if I really mean more than one. HA! Yeah, I only have one.

So lots of work to do in June to be ready for July.

No comments:

Post a Comment