04 June 2013

On Jean Stapleton...

Art Model, Kristi C. ©2013 Terrell Neasley

"I wish we could all make a more concerted effort to appreciate, laud, celebrate, and bestow gratitude on deserving people while they are yet here to receive it. No one would ever go unappreciated as of a result of it."
~Terrell Neasley

There are probably fewer people in the world who can formulate a face in their minds when they hear the name, Jean Stapleton. However, if I asked you if you knew Edith Bunker, you can not only see that face, but you can also hear that voice as well. Sadly, Jean Stapleton passed away a few days ago. Actually, let me take that back. Its wasn't a sad thing. The lady lived into her 90's. She had a long life and her's is celebrated. I don't know her or remember any other roll that she played in outside of the "All in the Family" situation comedy that aired during my time as a kid in the 70's.

Art Model, Kristi C. ©2013 Terrell Neasley
Few people know that "The Jeffersons" spun off from this show and these along with "Good Times" were my first windows to important events and issues that went on in the world. This was my first look at race and gender issues and Jean Stapleton was an integral part of my social education. If anything is really sad, its that I don't think many people really gave her the dues and admiration that should be accorded someone of her contributions to television and acting, to include myself.

Then again...maybe that was her gift. There are some professions and roles that the better you are, the less you are seen. Referees have been recently described as such. They do their jobs well enough that you do not even see them. I would say soldiers are the same. Our job is to stand in the gap so that you can sleep at night. These are the unsung and oft-times less celebrated professions and roles in society. Jean's gift to us was to make us believe, understand, become aware, and educate, all under the guise of entertaining us and making us laugh. And she did this all the while staying invisible. I hope there are more tributes and recognition afforded to her and her family than I have seen thus far. I wish we could all make a more concerted effort to appreciate, laud, celebrate, and bestow gratitude on deserving people while they are yet here to receive it. No one would ever go unappreciated as of a result of it.

Art Model, Kristi C. ©2013 Terrell Neasley
“Among the things you can give and still keep are your word, a smile, and a grateful heart.”
~Zig Ziglar

This past week has been a good one. I've been hard at work on edits from a couple shoots that were absolutely astounding and propitious. Two of the most intriguing women you'll ever meet where front and centered of my lenses this past week and I'm greatly excited about our future work. One of which is Kristi C., whom you're witnessing as you read. This year is half-way done almost and I'm glad I've maintained my focus of reestablishing my art nude work. I entered 2013 shooting nudes and it is now my goal to be doing the same thing as this year gives way to the next.

Art Model, Kristi C. ©2013 Terrell Neasley
Kristi and her pooch, Cuki have the type of inseparable bond only found in the closest of friends and families and it is aptly illustrated in this series of work. They've inspired me to pursue more nudes with their pets. If others can give me half of what I got from Kristi and Cuki, I'll be good to go. Cuki is a champion Vizsla who competes in agility competitions, trained by Kristi who is also an avid horsewoman, photographer, and artist. This is probably why we gel so easily and well. I greatly benefit from working with other creatives and its a blessing to have their ideas, input, and feedback. While I have her, she won't go unseen or under-appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I think your capture of Krist C. alone in the desert, hair in the wind, MT's and sky in background is perhaps one of the finest art nude photo's I have ever seen. Beautiful model and magic snap for you. Well done..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks, Winston. That's a powerful compliment.

    ReplyDelete