20 June 2009

Juneteenth, Unbearable Lightness, and Kodachrome

How many of you knew that this past Friday was JUNETEENTH? I wouldn't presume that many would know, but then again I may presume incorrectly. Its mainly a Texas thing, but its grown in the last few years. I didn't even know until yesterday that it was an official holiday in California when Gov. Schwarzenegger proclaimed it so in 2005. To some, its called the Black Independence Day or Freedom Day, but it began as a Texas celebration to commemorate freedom from slavery in the South. You see, despite the fact that the Emancipation Proclamation was in effect and the Union won the Civil War, the news didn't get down to many in Texas till a whopping TWO and a half years after the fact! Check out the wiki link above for more info.


Unbearable Lightness honored me again with a nice little piece on Univers d'Artistes. Made me blush a little bit, I won't lie to you. But she was particularly giving some credit to the stunningly gorgeous, Lorelei, whom I had done an interview with on that same blog. She talked about photogs who show respect to models and chose to feature me in that article, but she could have just as well used herself, because this is one woman I have mad respect for. Over the last year or two, many of us can give big props to the lady who has been the subject of our compositions or at the very least a mentor. I've never worked with UL...yet. But she's been a big part of my growth, as a photog just as well as anyone here in Vegas who helps me with guidance.


Today is Monday morning and I just heard on the news that Kodak is dropping its Kodachrome brand. So another film brand has fallen victim to the digital way of life. Representing less than 1% of sales, and given that only 1 lab in the world still processes it, they announced that the iconic brand will no longer be produced. I knew it would come to this as did everyone else. I recall a few years ago when a Kodak executive said in an interview that they have no immediate plans to discontinue the brand. I thought that was pretty cool that they would still choose to lose money rather than cancel the gig all together. I guess they changed their mind.

1 comment:

unbearable lightness said...

Garsh, Terrell, what a beautiful thing to say! I just got over to visit you here, having returned from NOLA yesterday, and here's this great stuff. Thank you so much.

This afternoon I published one of your pictures with an editorial at UdA that means a great deal to me. I look forward to meeting and working you, darlin', very soon I hope!