23 April 2008

Unbearable Lightness = Insight and Wisdom

If you haven't had the chance to read or check out the work of Unbearable Lightness, then let me introduce you. Unbearable Lightness is one of the Women of Avalon, who was brought on by Iris Dassault as a co-contributor to her blog (Women of Avalon). Over the last few months, I have come to enjoy checking in on them and seeing what they have to say. I am a daily (and sometimes several times a day) visitor to this blog. You'll find Iris and Unbearable Lightness working side by side quite often and they work with some of the same photographers. I've often used Iris as a reference to my models on what a model should be, know, and do. Unbearable Lightness, on the other hand, I keep for myself. It was her zeal which attracted me to her style of writing, but lately its been her incredible insight and wisdom that keep me sustained until I get the next dose of her experience. Case in point, this is a small exerpt from her latest posting "The School of Being Wrong":

"At some point in my academic career, I learned to apologize. Then I learned to forgive. Beyond that, I learned to forget. We are human. We will be and do wrong." -UL

That one particular statement really got me. Maybe because I have had to face this issue, or maybe because I have known others whom I wish could benefit from her prose. Regardless, the fact remains that this is an impactful statement, that no one with the ability to read should ignore. Of course I encourage you to read the rest of her post on the matter. Her's is the years of living and experiencing life which she freely shares with those willing to listen. Thats her gift to her readers, so I invite you to join me in becoming an avid reader of Unbearable Lightness.

Okay, there's this priest, a rabbi, and a baptist minister, stop me if you've heard this one...

Kidding. One a lighter note, I've commented on my last post regarding in interesting clip on Imogen Cunningham. This is not the one where she comments on Edward Weston that I mentioned but rather a clip on her account of the nude form. This mini-video is from a 1988 film "A Portrait of Imogen" by Meg Partridge.
If you don't see below video -->click here<--



Lastly, in a recent post, I asked readers to leave comments on the images of models on my website. This is the main source of feedback they receive for their efforts, but I've had a few viewers on my site that expressed difficulties in leaving comments. If you visit my site at http://www.tlneasley.com/, you can click on any one of seven galleries currently available. When you select an image for viewing, there should be a green rectangular button to VIEW and ADD COMMENTS located in the bottom left corner. If you do not see this button, just maximize the page. Its there, trust me. I wish I could make it more visible, but that's just the way my site is designed. So maximize the page, and add your comments. Please feel free to leave your name and a web page if you have one such as your own site, or a myspace page. The model might just want to contact you and say thanks!

Thanks.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, goodness, goodness, thank you so much for all the wonderful things you said in this post. Most of all, thank you for reading my posts and for letting me know that it matters. I have been grateful for your comments ever since I joined Iris last fall, and I have enjoyed your writings as well. So your words mean all the more to me, coming from someone I so respect as a writer and a photographer.

    I don't know what else to say. I am very moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're not supposed to be thanking me. It was because of you that I was moved to write all that anyway. I tend to be a dramatic at times when I write...its the poet part of me. Did I lay it on too thick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this!!! UL is indeed an exraordinary woman. I'm glad to be sharing a blog with both her and RJ. It fascinates me to hear, read thoughts of others in this community. I enjoy reading yours as well!

    ReplyDelete