01 April 2008

Informative and Introspective

Hmmm, lets see. I don't have just one topic to cover tonight, but rather an amalgam of informative and introspective tidbits to share.

Now that Chris (Univers d'Artistes) is back, I have suddenly become keenly aware that in his absence, I've neglected to title my images on my blog. In an earlier post, I commented that I felt his observation of photogs who don't title images should be spanked, was valid. Well, not in so many words, but he strongly advocated that we should. Chris is more of a writer than some of us photogs are. Conversely, I've heard from some photogs mention that they are not writers, but rather image creators. I've had difficulty trying to name ALL of my work especially when I shoot a series of images. Naming all is quite the challenge especially with respect to time. I've recently had a lot of post-processing work and got away from creating titles. It was just interesting that I suddenly become aware of that fact, now that he's back, which is the same feeling you get when your parents come home after you've lost track of time. You suddenly become aware of all the chores you've yet to do. I know I want to be a better photographer and I'd like to take mentorship from those I respect. I have writing in my blood, so why not add value to my work by being both a writer and an image creator. So at some point, I've got to go back and title my work. Not because Chris said so, but rather because I want to stay true to my own sense of dedication for what I've made personal commitments to.

More Links...for the models this time:

I came across Isobella Jade not long ago who runs a host of modeling advice blogs and has her own book, entitled "Almost 5'4" ". Two of her blogs of interest that you should definitely check out are Petite Modeling Tips and Isobella's Dream Lounge. I highly recommend you become familiar with her words. I am an advocate for anyone who dedicates themselves to helping others. She could have simply busted her butt to get ahead and worry about herself, but she chooses to reach out to other would-be models in a variety of media means. She also has podcasts available at Isobella's Model Talk, on BlogTalkRadio.com. I think if you can follow her lead, you can certainly learn from her experiences. So, Isobella Jade... highly recommend her if you want to model.

And then we come to Mr. Peter J. Crowley. I was honored when he contacted me for my address so he could send me his latest book, "All the Usual Subjects". Now that was cool. He had already helped me find the Edward Weston/Charis Wilson DVD I had been searching for, "Eloquent Nude...", by giving me the personal number of the person actually in charge of handling the DVD sales. So I was further esteemed to receive his limited edition book. To quote directly from his site:

"While living in Willimantic, Connecticut, Peter documented daily life in this old mill town through a series of black and white photographs of memorable scenes and portraits of local characters and friends. The resulting book, titled All the Usual Subjects: Seven Years of Willimantic Photographs, is now available."

I particularly related to this book because I come from the small town of Terrell, Texas. (No, I was not named after the place...I just coincidentally grew up there). There were several other small towns nearby, as well. Contrastingly to the great city of Las Vegas, no one is very polite in this city. You don't really know your own neighbors or the people down the block. I miss the small town, close-knit communities. Thanks Peter. Well done, my friend.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post !!!... We are in perfect harmony. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete